The Center for Dairy Excellence offers several information resources to help producers identify opportunities to protect their profits. These documents are reviewed on a monthly “Protecting Your Profits” conference call. Click here to access the latest “Protecting Your Profits” Webinar.
Pennsylvania Dairy Industry Performance Scorecard: The Center for Dairy Excellence publishes a monthly “PA Dairy Industry Performance Scorecard,” which looks at key factors supporting the growth of Pennsylvania’s dairy industry and evaluates trends affecting Pennsylvania’s dairy farms.
- Pennsylvania’s milk production still grew 2.8% last month when compared to April 2014 as feed costs fell 6.6%.
- Production per cow reached an all time high of 67.2 lbs / cow per day which pulled Pa’s 12 month rolling production to a Scorecard record 10.767 billion pounds
- Milk prices are $8.00 / cwt less than last year, creating margins that are at summer of 2012 levels, 45% under last April.
- Average days in milk, days to first service, and age at first calving all fell slightly compared to last year.
- Cull rates continue their slow decline, at their lowest April value since 2011.
To view a summary of this month’s scorecard, click here.
Protecting Your Profits Scorecard: To provide an overview of the national dairy industry, with consumption, marketing and production trends, the center publishes the monthly “Protecting Your Profits” scorecard.
- The final January/February MPP margin is $7.9955. March is $7.53
- March cow numbers fell for the first time in 15 months.
- March slaughter numbers grew from March 2014 but they are under March values from 2012-2013.
- Average U.S.per cow production increased 1 lb/hd over the past 2 years.
- Butter inventories are comparable to last year, but well below March 2012 & 2013. Non fat dry milk powder stocks in the U.S. are at the highest level on record.
- Consumer confidence and the dollar index both softened slightly while unemployment continues to drop.
- CME butter prices are well above German and New Zealand.
- US dairy exports climbed to a nine-month high in March, with overseas sales of dairy products valued at $54 million..
Alan Zepp, the center’s risk management program manager, reviews both of these scorecards monthly during his “Protecting Your Profits” calls. The calls are held the last Wednesday of every month. Click here to access a recording of the latest call.