The Center for Dairy Excellence offers several information resources to help producers identify opportunities to protect their profits. These documents are reviewed on a monthly “Protecting Your Profits” conference call. Click here to access the latest “Protecting Your Profits” Webinar.
Pennsylvania Dairy Industry Performance Scorecard: The Center for Dairy Excellence publishes a monthly “PA Dairy Industry Performance Scorecard,” which looks at key factors supporting the growth of Pennsylvania’s dairy industry and evaluates trends affecting Pennsylvania’s dairy farms.
- Pennsylvania’s milk production still grew 1.3% last month when compared to March 2014 as feed costs fell 1.5%.
- Production per cow continues to grow with 27% of Pennsylvania herds averaging more than 80 lbs.of milk/ day and more than 1650 lbs of total components / year.
- Milk prices are $6.00 less than last year, creatinging margins 45% under last March.
- Average days in milk, days to first service, and age at first calving all fell slightly compared to last year.
- Cull rates continue their slow decline, at their lowest March value since 2010!
Protecting Your Profits Scorecard: To provide an overview of the national dairy industry, with consumption, marketing and production trends, the center publishes the monthly “Protecting Your Profits” scorecard.
- The final January/February MPP margin is $7.9955
- Cow numbers continue to build slowly along with production per cow.
- February slaughter numbers are comparable to February 2014 but significantly under February’s from 2011-2013.
- Average U.S.per cow production increased 2 lb/hd over the past 3 years.
- Butter inventories are comparable to last year, but well below February 2012 & 2013. Powder stocks are at the highest level of any February on record, resulting in the current Class IV prices.
- Consumer confidence and the dollar index are rising while unemployment continues to drop.
- Most US and GDT prices have fallen 15% – 20% below their 3 year averages.
- Exports of cheese and nonfat dry milk/skim milk powder (NDM/SMP) were up sharply from January’s levels, and only slightly below February 2014.
Alan Zepp, the center’s risk management program manager, reviews both of these scorecards monthly during his “Protecting Your Profits” calls. The calls are held the last Wednesday of every month. Click here to access a recording of the latest call.