The Center for Dairy Excellence offers several information resources to help producers identify opportunities to protect their profits. These documents are reviewed on a monthly “Protecting Your Profits” conference call. Click here to access the latest “Protecting Your Profits” Webinar.
Pennsylvania Dairy Industry Performance Scorecard: The Center for Dairy Excellence publishes a monthly “PA Dairy Industry Performance Scorecard,” which looks at key factors supporting the growth of Pennsylvania’s dairy industry and evaluates trends affecting Pennsylvania’s dairy farms.
- The average Pennsylvania milk cow produced .3 pounds more milk last month than August 2014 yielding a rolling herd average of 22,147 pounds of milk and 1,516 pounds of components per cow.
- This grows PA’s 12 month rolling production to 10.852 billion pounds.
- Milk prices are 66% of last year, feed costs are 10% higher, yielding margins that are around 50% of August 2014.
- August days in milk and average calving age continue to fall compared to last year
- 40.2% of Pa DHI herds have an average calving age between 21-24 months
- Somatic cell counts crept up from last August while Preg Rates fell
- August Cull rates rose 1% from last August to 37%.
Protecting Your Profits Scorecard: To provide an overview of the national dairy industry, with consumption, marketing and production trends, the center publishes the monthly “Protecting Your Profits” scorecard.
- The final July/August MPP margin is $7.69510 down from the May/June $7.99534.
- U.S. Cow numbers have peaked at 9.32 million cows. but this value has remained steady for four months. These cows are producing .3 pounds more milk per head than last August.
- Slaughter numbers are below the three previous Augusts.
- Natural Cheese inventories in the U.S. are at their highest level since 1984.
- Consumer confidence improved again in September.
- CME butter prices are still well above Germany and New Zealand, while U.S. powder prices continue to be similar to Europe and New Zealand.
- The value of U.S. dairy exports is 15% under the three year averge at July 2012 values.
Alan Zepp, the center’s risk management program manager, reviews both of these scorecards monthly during his “Protecting Your Profits” calls. The calls are held the last Wednesday of every month. Click here to access a recording of the latest call.