The Center for Dairy Excellence offers several information resources to help producers identify opportunities to protect their profits. These documents are reviewed on a monthly “Protecting Your Profits” conference call. Click here to access the latest “Protecting Your Profits” Webinar.
Pennsylvania Dairy Industry Performance Scorecard:The Center for Dairy Excellence publishes a monthly “PA Dairy Industry Performance Scorecard,” which looks at key factors supporting the growth of Pennsylvania’s dairy industry and evaluates trends affecting Pennsylvania’s dairy farms.
- Pennsylvania produced 0.6% more milk with -0.6% fewer cows compared to August 2013 while national production increased 2.5%.
- This increase is due to an increase in production per cow, and the average pregnancy rate accompanied by a drop in somatic cell count and days in milk.
- The Pennsylvania All Milk Price continues just below record highs but feed costs softened, creating the highest margin in the history of the Scorecard!
Protecting Your Profits Scorecard:To provide an overview of the national dairy industry, with consumption, marketing and production trends, the center publishes the monthly “Protecting Your Profits” scorecard.
- Historically high CME butter prices pushed the September All Milk Price almost back to last spring’s record high levels.
- These domestic butter price spikes are occurring while international prices for butter, powder and cheese continue to fall.
- August cow numbers are the highest since May 2009.
- The July/ August 2014 margin for the Margin Protection Program would be $12.97. The historical three year average price is right at the $8.00 maximum coverage provided in this program.
- Cull cow prices are still near record highs but slaughter numbers are similar to last August.
- Domestic butter prices rose for the past 9 months while International butter prices are similar to January 2013.
Alan Zepp, the center’s risk management program manager, reviews both of these scorecards monthly during his “Protecting Your Profits” calls. The calls are held the last Wednesday of every month. Click here to access a recording of the latest call.